It is the mission of Community Development Resources to create economic opportunity and strong communities by providing capital and technical assistance to develop and fortify small businesses.
Community Development Resources (CDR), formerly Self Employment Loan Fund of Lincoln (SELF), was established in 1994 to fill a gap in access to capital resources, technical assistance and training for low-income, minority and women business owners. Initially, through a peer-group lending model, and then in 1999, SELF initiated its Direct Loan Program. In 2001, CDR became an independent 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization with a governing board of directors and began a plan to increase its community impact and presence.
Late in 2002, CDR became a U.S. Department of Treasury certified Community Development Financial Intuition (CDFI). To become a CDFI, Community Development Resources demonstrated the following requirements:
- The organization has a primary mission of community development.
- The organization is a financing entity.
- The organization serves and maintains accountability to eligible target markets.
- The organization provides technical assistance.
- The organization is not controlled by a government entity.
As a CDFI, CDR has the opportunity to increase economic development capital in the state of Nebraska through the CDFI Fund’s Assistance Award program.